Do you want to slim down and tone up for your wedding? The best advice you can take when slimming down for your wedding day is to do it in a way that’s both healthy and sustainable. By starting a habit of healthy eating and exercise, you’ll glow on your day and for years to come. Start six months before your wedding with these three changes in your lifestyle for a happier, healthier, more gorgeous you.
Habit 1: drink enough water
What do you drink most throughout the day? Tea, coffee, soft drinks? While these beverages are fine in moderation, your drink of choice should be water. Six to eight glasses of water a day gives your body the water it needs to get rid of lurking toxins and function optimally.
Drinking plenty of water will:
- Help to clear and revive your skin
- Keep you fuller for longer (so you won’t eat unless you’re actually hungry)
The odd cocktail or glass of wine is no problem. Just remember that alcohol tends to be high in kilojoules, so regular drinking (like a unit of alcohol every day) will sabotage your efforts to lose weight.
Habit 2: watch what you eat
Keep a daily food diary for a week or two, and write down everything you eat. Don’t be tempted to miss anything out! After a week, evaluate what your average daily food intake looks like. You might be surprised to learn that you don’t eat quite as well as you thought you did.
Here are a few tips to help you use what you eat as a tool for better health and weight loss:
- Eat at least five fruit and veg a day. This is vital for all-round health.
- Eat five or six smaller meals a day rather than three large ones. This will help to keep you satisfied and also keep your energy levels up, avoiding the afternoon slump and urge to binge.
- When eating out, try to choose lower-fat meals without creamy dressings and sauces.
- Watch portion sizes. Eat what you need, not what you want.
Habit 3: do exercise you love
Do you exercise? If so, why? Exercise is fundamental to good health and weight loss. However, it’s no use forcing yourself to do exercise that you hate. You’ll become demotivated and give up. Rather find a sport or form of exercise, team or solo, that you absolutely love and get excited about doing. You need to be doing exercise for the right reason in order to be able to stick with it.
Some ideas to help:
- Exercise with friends. Going for a walk or doing a class together is generally far more enjoyable than going it alone.
- Be active at a time in the day when you feel most positive. For example, don’t force yourself to go for an early morning run if you’re not a morning person.
Slimming down for your wedding is a great way to start a new, healthy, sustainable lifestyle. Grab a glass of water and toast the beginning of a healthy you and the extra-beautiful bride you’re going to be!